Quick Links

Main Navigation

Top

Front Page > breadcrumbs: News >

Working...

Ajax Loading Image

Priest Update: Where are they now?

Skip image

Priest Update: Where are they now?
59d38b276926b

This story originally appeared in the student newspaper Xchange, and was written by Maddie Amea.

From the moment the first bell rang and students flooded the halls for the 2017-2018 school year, it was obvious a few people were missing.

This past May it was announced that several priests who taught at Pius X would be reassigned to new parishes in different places all over the Lincoln Diocese.

Fr. David Gayhart was the Parochial Vicar at Saint Peter's in Lincoln. This past year he was reassigned to Saint Joseph Parish in Cedar Bluffs as Pastor. Fr. Gayhart also teaches at Bishop Neumann Jr./Sr. High School in Wahoo.

Throughout the day as students continue going to their classes they don’t see Fr. Denton Morris. Previously the Parochial Vicar at St. Patrick Parish and Advocate for the Diocesan Tribunal, Fr. Morris has been reassigned.

Priest Update: Where are they now?

“I feel like he will do a good job in whatever position he’s assigned,” sophomore Abbie Russman, who had Fr. Morris last year as her freshman theology teacher, said.

He was appointed the Parochial Vicar of St. Joseph Parish in York. Also, he is now the chaplain for the Nebraska Correctional Center for Women.

As students go to their classes, they may also notice Fr. Michael Zimmer is gone. Before his new appointment, Fr. Zimmer was the Director of the Charity and Stewardship Appeal with residence at Cathedral of the Risen Christ. Fr. Zimmer was appointed Pastor of St. Mary Parish in Sutton and St. Helena Parish in Grafton. He also teaches at St. Cecilia High School in Hastings.

Eighth period rolls in and students see that Fr. Ben Rynearson doesn’t teach at Pius X anymore. Fr. Rynearson is now the Pastor of St. John the Baptist Parish in Prague and Sts. Cyril and Methodius Parish in Plasi. Prior to his new appointment, Rynearson was Parochial Vicar at Blessed Sacrament Parish.

“It’s been a little sad leaving Pius since I went there, graduated there, and taught there for the past three years,” he said.

Rynearson had said that it was super weird to teach at Pius X because that was where he went to high school.

“It was really surreal to see the teachers that still worked there from when I was in high school,” he said. “Mrs. Sander was my freshman English teacher so it was so surreal to see her working when I was.”

Fr. Rynearson also teaches at Bishop Neumann Jr./Sr. High School in Wahoo. He said that he has met so many new people and that everyone at Neumann has been great.

“It’s different from teaching at Pius. I teach two sections of eighth graders and three sections of seniors, which means that I teach all the eighth and twelfth graders. I get to know everybody a lot faster and interact with them more.”

His piece of advice for the new priests this year is to enjoy how at Pius X we are a big family through everything and come together.

Pius X • 6000 A St. • Lincoln, NE 68510 • 402-488-0931 • Fax: 402-488-1061

Back To Top