Quick Links

Main Navigation

Top

Front Page > breadcrumbs: News >

Working...

Ajax Loading Image

One act returns to make a scene

Skip image

One act returns to make a scene
59d66b255d8ce

This story originally appeared in the student newspaper Xchange, and was written by Ziyal McArthur.

On August 28th and 29th auditions were held for this year’s One Act play, The Gypsy Robe, and call backs for the show were held on August 30th and 31st. The auditions were open to any student interested in a part.

There are about 40-60 students who try out and every student who tries out will either receive a part as a member of the cast or as a member of the crew.

“In the past, I’ve enjoyed being a part of the cast it is honestly a big family,” Senior Cece Minchow said. “The crew does the same amount of work as the cast, but the crew is severely underrated.”

The play, written by Tim Kelly, will be about what happens behind the scenes of a play. The play follows a group of female dancers backstage getting ready before they perform on Broadway which is when the gypsy robe shows up and changes their lives.

“I pick the plays by trusting my theater instincts, but I relax and pray and trust the Holy Spirit,” says Theater Director Joseph Moser. “It’s always difficult picking cast members but I pray, trust my theater instincts and I don’t get a lot of sleep.”

The One Act is produced by the Fine Arts Department every fall semester one public performance is held at Pius which held the first Friday in December before being performed at the NSAA

District and State Production contest, which is held on the first Saturday in December.

“I think the play could win this year if we do it like last year and if the cast is good,” Minchow said.

Last year’s One Act, Two Fronts, was performed at the District contest and received a Superior Ranking and nine of the actors received Outstanding Acting Awards.

Sadly, Pius did not represent District A-4 at the Nebraska State Play Production contest, but this year could be Pius’s year.

“It is hard to say if we can win, because I never know what the other schools are doing, we do go to districts once in my ten years of this job and that was the only time Pius made it,” Moser says.

“The important thing for me is to produce the best theater I can.”

Pius X • 6000 A St. • Lincoln, NE 68510 • 402-488-0931 • Fax: 402-488-1061

Back To Top