Quick Links

Main Navigation

Top

Front Page > breadcrumbs: News >

Working...

Ajax Loading Image

Cheerleaders take flight with stunts

Skip image

Cheerleaders take flight with stunts
5a04bbdebff3d

Cheerleaders take flight with stunts

This story originally appeared in the student newspaper Xchange, and was written by Anthony Krick.

The Pius X cheer squad can stunt for the first time in four years.

After a mis-fortunate accident in 1996 leaving a University of Lincoln Nebraska cheerleader partially paralyzed, it became Nebraska School Activities Association canon that all Nebraska cheer teams would be "grounded."

Nebraska’s governing body for athletics, the NSAA, set guidelines for the new cheer regulations, as well specific insurance agencies varying from school to school and district to district.

Although the ban has varied in stipulations since its placement over twenty years ago, the NSAA announced last year that as long as all high school cheer coaches have completed a training program and received certification in stunting, high school cheer teams could begin stunting, following strict guidelines.

Towards the end of the 2017-2018 cheer season, the Pius X squad began minor stunting, and started competitive training proceeding a Universal Cheerleaders Association (UCA), camp this past summer.

Although stunting is new to this year’s Pius X cheer squad, coach Erin Andrus, had prior stunting experience in both coaching and competing in high schoolThe cheerleaders’ overall reaction was pure excitement. Our routines tend to look a lot more intricate and catch more people’s attention when we have people in the air," varsity cheer captain Carly Johnson exclaimed.

It is a seemingly mutual agreement that the team’s favorite stunts consist of level changes, such as the pyramid preformed at the 2017 Fall Kickoff football game.

With new tasks though, come new difficulties.

"Stunting definitely adds an extra level of stress for the girls, not only do they have to learn their routines, they now also have to practice stunts," Andrus explained. "Comfortableness can be hard to reach, and in order to be physically sturdy, the girls have to be confident."

But despite any challenges, the girls have really enjoyed the new addition to cheer, and work very hard to perfect the sport.

"There are many responsibilities with stunting," junior Mary Messinio, a varsity flyer, stated. "The bases and back spots are literally throwing a girl into the air. Making sure she gets up there safely can cause a lot of stress, but in the end we always pull through."

The Pius X cheerleaders will continue to work to perfect there stunts, and look forward to continuing to try new routines in the years to come.

Pius X • 6000 A St. • Lincoln, NE 68510 • 402-488-0931 • Fax: 402-488-1061

Back To Top