Quick Links

Main Navigation

Top

Front Page > breadcrumbs: News >

Working...

Ajax Loading Image

Ben Wilson keeps Pius X halls clean, green

Skip image

Story image 1_0
5a579096e4e7b

This story originally appeared in the student newspaper Xchange, and was written by Anthony Krick.

A cheerful, friendly senior walks into the main office every afternoon with one question: “What can I do to help?”

Ben Wilson considers it a pleasure to be an office assistant during his sixth period. Wilson has been helping the office since the beginning of the year with anything he can get his hands on. Whenever there is a job to be done, he is available at the drop of a hat. The one job that stands out in particular is his recycling duty.  

Wilson is all about making Pius X go green. “I like to recycle because it keeps all the earth clean, and it also keeps me thinking green,” Wilson stated. “It also helps us care for the earth.”
Office Secretary, Jolene Ritzman, is in the office each day Wilson comes in to assist. 

“We’ve utilized Ben by putting him in charge of collecting the recycling and he loves it,” Ritzman said. “A recycling service comes to Pius twice a week, so it has to get put back out on one day and must be picked up on the next day.”

According to Ritzman, there are four days out the five school days that there is recycling activity with the large, blue tubs. There are a total of ten bins placed around the school.
Wilson’s favorite room to round up the recycling is room 211. He said, “I like Mr. Logsdon’s room, because there are two big bins in there so I can collect more things to be recycled.”

Going in no particular order, this helpful senior happily takes care of the bins on both the top and bottom floors of the school. He places all the recycling into one or two bins, and brings it down to the dumpsters just outside the commons across from the tennis courts. This process takes him nearly the whole period to do.

If going from room to room collecting recycling isn’t enough, Wilson also sends notes to classrooms, takes lunch trays back to the Commons, helps shred unneeded papers, and moves supply boxes. Plus, whenever Wilson sees Pius’s maintenance men, Randy Leber or Troy Zornes, he’ll ask if they need any help.

“Whenever I see Randy (the maintenance man) I’ll lend a little hand for him,” Wilson said.

Biology teacher, Lori Watson, is in charge of her own organization for her students and the recycling. However, according to Watson, Wilson accounts for 95% help with the school’s recycling.

“With Ben doing the recycling daily, it has avoided the need for my students to go around and collect it,” Watson said with a smile. “He doesn’t have a problem with doing it all!” 

With Wilson graduating in May, there will be a void in the recycling duties once again. Mrs. Ritzman said, “I’m sure next year we will be back to relaying on Mrs. Watson and the services of some of her students to get the recycling bins in and out.”

Wilson wants people to recycle more often. “I think we need to keep this earth clean,” Wilson said with a joyful grin. “We don’t want to have our water polluted, so if you have a plastic bottle just always recycle it.”

By lending Pius X a hand and throwing away your trash, it not only makes it easier for Ben, but it can also change the world.

Do your part.

Be like Ben.

Pius X • 6000 A St. • Lincoln, NE 68510 • 402-488-0931 • Fax: 402-488-1061

Back To Top