Hopefully this newsletter finds you finishing a summer that has been restful and relaxing, yet eventful and full of family time. August means the exciting beginning of a new school year is upon us.
As we get set to begin the 2019-2020 school year, we welcome our newest students to our Pius family. We have a number of new students entering grades 10-12, and look forward to welcoming the students from the class of 2023! We hope that they will enjoy and create memories at Pius as they trek towards graduation.
We are excited to open our new addition this month. We are grateful to the donors who allowed this addition to be built. Below, are some highlights as we begin this new school year.
- The new wing has given us a net gain of 13 classrooms, including a new shop classroom and a new CAD and photography computer lab, three new art classrooms, two new family and consumer science classrooms, a music ensemble classroom, and additional regular classrooms, and has allowed us to create a nice organization of departments throughout the school for improved teacher collaboration opportunities.
- A brand new fire alarm system has been installed, along with an update of our entry system and additional cameras for the safety of our students and staff.
- With the departure of construction equipment and the portables, we have increased the number of available parking spots on campus by over 50 spots for this year.
- The addition of new lockers in the new space will allow us to reduce the number of students in some of our more crowded hallways.
- We said goodbye to some wonderful teachers, but welcome new staff members to our Pius family. Help welcome Mrs. Savanah Prater(English), Mrs. Alicia Wehling(English), Mrs. Laurence Mills(PT French), Sr. Megan Tunink(PT Theology and Science), Fr. Anthony Bedient and Fr. Andrew Schwenka(Theology), and Pius Alums, Mr. Bill Vogel and Fr. Cole Kennett(Theology).
- Some dates to keep in mind in the coming weeks include the deadline for signing up for parking and lockers(July 31); schedule pickup/picture day(August 7); mandatory new parent meeting(August 7); 9th grade retreat(August 11-12); 1st day of fall practice/tryouts(August 12); and the 1st day of school(August 16). You should find more information about each of these in this newsletter.
- A reminder to all of our parents that NO STUDENT DROPOFFS should occur in the west parking lot. It is a very full compact lot and we want to limit the traffic in that lot to only those who are parking for the day. Please use the drop off in the front drive of school or in the east lot. We also remind parents that when picking up students at the end of the day, please do not park behind any parked cars. You may park in any available spots after 3pm to wait for your student. During the school day, visitor parking is available on the east side of the building.
I look forward to welcoming everyone back to a new school year. May it be filled with the Love of God through each of us daily.